Curso "Heterogeneous Networks: Theory and Practice"
In this course, we will learn about modeling, evaluation and technical aspects of heterogeneous cellular networks. Special focus is laid on LTE-Advanced and the fifth generation of mobile networks (5G). We will start with an introduction to HetNets and femtocells in particular. Then, the major part of the lecture elaborates on modeling and simulation of such networks. We will apply techniques from stochastic geometry and random shape theory, and obtain surprisingly tractable results. In two hands-on lectures on Mathematica and MATLAB, we will confirm our theoretical findings. The lecture is completed by addressing the advanced topics of dynamic interference management and self organizing networks.
COURSE DATES and LOCATION
· Twelve lecture hours including one MATLAB and one Mathematica hands-on lectures from september 15th to september 24th, 2015 at the Edificio Área Científica (classroom A.3.01.AC), Campus de Elviña, 15071 A Coruña, SPAIN.
COURSE METHODOLOGY AND SCHEDULE
· Two sessions everyday of 60 minutes each, separated by a 15 minutes break.
· Tuesday september 15th: from 16:30 to 18:45. Classroom A.3.01.AC
· Wednesday september 16th: from 16:30 to 18:45. Classroom A.3.01.AC
· Thursday september 17th: from 10:45 to 13:00. Classroom A.3.01.AC
· Monday september 21th: from 16:30 to 18:45. Classroom A.3.01.AC
· Wednesday september 23th: from 16:30 to 18:45. Classroom A.3.01.AC
· Thursday september 24th: from 10:45 to 13:00. Classroom A.3.01.AC
1. Heterogeneous Networks Basics
a. Introduction to Heterogeneous Networks
2. Modeling and Simulation
a. Interference Analysis and Stochastic Geometry
b. A Tractable Approach to Coverage and Rate
c. Random Networks with Mathematica [Hands-on]
d. Modeling and Analysis of Blockage
e. System Level Simulations
f. Vienna LTE-A System Level Simulator Tutorial [Hands-on]
3. Advanced Topics
a. Dynamic Interference Management
b. Self Organization
COURSE WEB PAGE: http://www.nt.tuwien.ac.at/index.php?id=1547
INSTRUCTOR : Dr. Martin Taranetz
Martin Taranetz received the B.Sc. degree in electrical engineering and the M.Sc. degree in telecommunications with highest distinctions from the TU Wien, Vienna, Austria, in 2008 and 2011, respectively. He also received his Dr. techn. degree (Ph.D. equivalent) in telecommunications engineering with highest honors from the TU Wien in 2015. In his dissertation, he focused on system level modeling and evaluation of heterogeneous cellular networks. Since 2015, he is employed as a postdoctoral researcher in the Mobile Communications group of the Institute of Telecommunications, TU Wien. From January 2014 to April 2014 he was a visiting researcher with the Wireless Networking and Communications Group at The University of Texas at Austin. His research interests lie in the broad fields of wireless communications and signal processing. He is a reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking and IEEE conferences.
FREE COURSE REGISTRATION
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org before september 11th, 2015, with name, contact phone, position, company or institution, and e-mail.
This course is organized by Grupo de Tecnología Electrónica y Comunicaciones (GTEC) and Centro de Investigación en Tecnologías de la Información y Comunicaciones (CITIC). It is sponsored by Xunta de Galicia, MINECO of Spain, and FEDER funds of the EU under grants 2012/287, R2014/037 (RedeTEIC) and TEC2013-47141-C4-1-R.